Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thoughts on Being a Musician

Does one ever stop being a musician?
I was thinking about that today after clarinet master class. Just as always, I learn fascinating things in master class, and I have a great time with my friends there. However, I realized that the reason I enjoy master class so much is because I look at everything from the viewpoint of a music educator. I see some of the techniques we use to teach each other, and my mind is itching to try those techniques out in other situations or with other ensembles. I like to analyze things like "What is the objective here? What are we trying to get at? Did it work?" I must say, props to Dr. Hinckley for varying up master class just enough that I can always glean something new. =)
On the other hand, I don't see myself as a clarinetist. Sounds a little odd, but that's not the title I want to have. I see myself as a musician and as a music educator. The clarinet is just one of the few instruments (literally) I use in order to qualify myself as a music educator. Should music educators be competent musicians-absolutely! Should music educators be experts on a specific instrument?   . .. that one . ..I'm not so sure. I have been playing the clarinet for years, and I admit . .. I can play it pretty darn well. It doesn't always come easy, and I do still struggle with many things. I decided I don't want to teach the clarinet. I want to teach music. Yes, somewhere down the road I will teach a roomful of 7th graders how to put the clarinet together and make a good sound. And somewhere down the road, I will most likely teach a roomful of string players how to hold the bow properly and make a good sound. For as little experience as I have on other instruments, I feel just as qualified to teach them as I do to teach the clarinet. So . . .why do I have to specialize so much in just one instrument?
Backing up to the original question. I don't think someone ever stops being a musician. One can stop being a performer (due to injury or other circumstances), but once you know as much about music as I do . ..it's hard to keep it all in. Teaching is as much of a performing art as performing in a professional orchestra, I think. You have to act, listen, assess, create, encourage, expand, etc.
I just prefer performing in front of a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment