Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thoughts on Mary

This morning we had a ward choir practice in preparation for our Christmas program tomorrow during Sacrament Meeting. We're singing a pretty simple, yet beautiful arrangement of Once in Royal David's City. I've never not cared for this particular Christmas carol, but I think it is one that is often overlooked.
As the women sang the first verse with these lyrics, I couldn't help but focus entirely on the lyrics:

Once in royal David's city 
Stood a lowly cattle shed,
Where a mother laid her baby 
In a manger for his bed:
Mary was that mother mild, 
Jesus Christ her little child.

What would it have been like for Mary? I mean, really, being pregnant is hard enough! And while back then there certainly wasn't as many comforts of birthing and delivery as there are today, I'm sure there was something better than a stable and a manger. I teared up a little bit thinking of one of the most holiest and sacred mothers of all of history. No wonder other religions worship and praise Mary as such a divine being! While I love the self-describing phrase she uses "the handmaiden of the Lord," I like to think of her best as the Mother of God. Above all else, she was a mother!

We continued singing:

He came down to earth from heaven, 
Who is God and Lord of all,
And his shelter was a stable,
And his cradle was a stall;
With the poor, and mean, and lowly,
Lived on earth our Savior holy.

What a tender reminder to me of what Christ's live was like. He lived on earth just like the rest of us! As we continued singing, I was reminded even more of why this one man's humble existence was so unlike any one else's . . .

And our eyes at last shall see him, 
Through his own redeeming love;
For that child so dear and gentle
Is our Lord in heav'n above,
And he leads his children on
To the place where he is gone.

One day He will come to greet us 
Blazing trails of glory past.
We will bow in adoration,
For our Lord has come at last.

O the long awaited morning,
We will shout in joyous praise.
Promised Lord at last to meet us,
Christ, the King, Christ, the King of latter days.
Amen.

I was probably wiping tears from my face the whole time we sang. Perhaps it's the hormones of a pregnant woman, or perhaps it's just the Spirit reminding me of the reason why we even sing Christmas carols in the first place. Jesus was born, Jesus lived. He died and lives again. 

I love Him, and I love celebrating all that He has done for us. 

(If you're interested, here's a link to the arrangement we're singing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment