Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Bedtime Stories

Laura often asks me for bedtime stories. If I don't happen to have a book with me, she wants me to make up a story. I am TERRIBLE at making up stories, but I've tried to somewhat follow an outline of stories that my mom used to tell us when we were kiddos. We called them Draggie stories because they were about a dragon who lived far far far across the sea. He had green skin and blue eyes, but unlike other dragons, Draggie was a nice dragon. So then after that lovely intro, you make up a story about how Draggie helps those in need and saves the day.

I have very limited creativity when it comes to making up stories. Last night, Laura woke up in the middle of the night, and even when Daddy came to calm her down, she insisted on having Mommy come. So, I crawled out of bed (probably the fourth time I had woken up in the middle of the night last night), and crawled into Laura's bed to tell her a story. Since I have limited creativity, I let her choose some elements of the story. "Will this story be about a boy, an elephant or a train?"

Anyway, I attempted a Draggie story while giving Laura choices, and we ended up with a story about a brown-skinned, pink-eyed dragon who lived in the library. He went to help a little girl named Laurie because her mom was busy changing her baby's diaper (Laura insisted on telling me it was a poopy diaper). Draggie helped the girl choose a book about doggies and he read it to her, and they were happy.

I think I tried telling her another story, but I fell asleep mid-story. I love that it's only at bedtime that she wants me to tell her stories, and she will consistently ask for "More stories, more stories?!" I hope I can get more creative in telling her stories, because I know this stage of begging for made-up stories won't last forever. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment